This position reports directly to the CFO and is responsible for maintaining and executing the Bank’s accounting procedures and initiatives. Performs treasury, accounting, budget, tax and audit activities for the bank. Performs financial and accounting system controls and ensures timely financial and statistical reports for use by management, the Board of Directors and the holding company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and execute the day-to-day operations of the accounting and finance department, including but not limited to the following:
- Maintain the general ledger, accounts payable, fixed assets, taxes, depreciation, prepaid assets and accrued liabilities.
- Posting journal entries to the general ledger, accounts payable, fixed assets, taxes, depreciation, prepaid assets and accrued liabilities.
- Prepare internal and external financial reports.
- Supervise the accounts payable function.
- Supervise the account reconcilement process, including correspondent banks, general ledger, bank-owned life insurance, FHLB advances, and investments.
- Monitoring daily financial reports for accuracy
- Perform the daily funds settlement.
- Implement internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration and accounting. Monitor internal controls, accordingly.
- Prepare financial statements, including weekly business activity reports, forecasts, and annual budgets for Board of Directors and Senior Management review, and all reports for the monthly Board report packages.
- Implement and coordinate the financial institution CD portfolio (purchased and sold).
- Implement FHLB advances and securities pledging. Prepare QCRs required by FHLB.
- Prepare regulatory reports, including monthly and annual public funds reports, quarterly call reports, quarterly reserve reports, and annual summary of deposit reports.
- Prepare monthly reports to holding company and provide other information as requested.
- Assist with the evaluation and maintenance of the loan loss reserve, as needed.
- Assist with preparation of the reporting packages for quarterly ALCO meetings.
- Assist with business licenses, tangible (personal and real property), income and state taxes, including calculation of deferred income taxes.
- Assist with insurance applications and claims processing.
- Coordinate information gathering for auditors and regulators, as needed.
- Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives, and current accounting standards.
- Review company accounts and financial transactions to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements, as well as comply with all state and federal laws and regulations.
- Fulfill responsibilities under the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering regulations. This includes initiating SARs investigations, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Directly supervises the Senior Accountant and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these individuals. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Position will be expected to travel approximately 5% of time to attend training and educational classes that may last in periods of up to one week.
- May require overnight/extended travel to assist with accounting needs at affiliate banks in Daytona and Ocala markets.
- Position may perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Dedication – the individual should be committed to achieving results under demanding time frames.
- Analytical – the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information.
- Problem Solving – the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Solution Oriented – Individual listens effectively to the needs of others, analyzes the situation and provides solution analysis.
- Self-Directed – the individual is well organized, self-directed and able to work independently and have the ability to adjust quickly to changes in work direction, if need be.
- Planning/Organizing – the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Project Management – the individual is able to manage projects by assessing project needs, identifying, developing and monitoring timelines and critical path decisions, communicating critical needs to others and directing others effectively to complete project timely.
- Oral Communications – the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations and may conduct meetings. Able to communicate to all levels of the organization effectively.
- Reading/Writing – the individual understands written information in work related documents and is able to communicate effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Mathematics – the individual understands time value of money calculations and percentages and is able to communicate this information verbally with ease.
- Quality Management – the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Judgment – the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
- Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- CPA Preferred.
- Minimum two years accounting experience required.
- Two years minimum experience in banking or bank auditing required.
- Cost accounting and profitability analysis experience preferred.
- FISERV core processing experience preferred.
- Knowledgeable of economic and accounting standards, accounting principles and practices, financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data required.
- Technologically proficient in Word, Excel, internet and the use of accounting software tools required.
- Language Skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to communicate effectively with auditors, regulators, senior management and board directors.
Accountabilities and Measures
- Financial Reporting
- Regulatory Compliance
- Project Management
- Completion of tasks timely and accurately.